Saturday, November 08, 2014

Christians in Pakistan, yet again

I have a habit of never deleting comments from my blog.  But lately, I have been encountering this error. If I post on my computer at school (which is a Mac computer, and I dont know if this is the issue since it is new, and my use of IMac is also new), and if I later post (in an open post section) of my blog at home (which is a PC), the new post replaces the last post that was already posted.  If you know of how I can rectify the matter, please let me know.  So I remember this about my last post: that I am still very disgusted with the burning of the two Christians in Pakistan, and more disgusted with the lack of outrage in the Muslim or Western worlds.  And I also said that this is a sign of the weakness of what was once an Arab-Islamic civilization and how that civilization was rather thick-skinned when it was at its zenith.  And I told the story of Islamic Spain how there was a group of fanatical friars who used to storm mosques and yell obscenities at Muslims and Islam in order to be killed by the mob, because that was for them a sure way to heaven. And once the caliph was present, when one of the friars stormed into a mosque during noon prayer and yelled insults against Muhammad. And the crowd tried to kill them, when they were stopped by the caliph, who ordered them to be left alone.

PS I also said that I don't believe that the two Christians were guilty of the charge of burning the Qur'an. I visited Pakistan and know of the status of Christians there. They are the untouchables of Pakistan.  At a hotel I stayed at, there was one whose job was to clean with his hand...the grass of the lawn.

PPS: A reader was able to retrieve the post that was mistakenly deleted and here it is in full: " ""The burning of two Christians in Pakistan
I am still furious at the incident of mob burning of two Christians in Pakistan. There is little attention to the story in Arabic press. It is amazing that this will not trigger protests and condemnation, as it should. I told the story in Arabic on social media, will say it here. There is a story about Islamic Spain: when there was a group of Friars who developed the religious habit of storming into mosques during prayers and yelling obscenities and insults against Muhammad and Islam. They would regularly be killed by the angry worshippers. One time, a friar of the group stormed into the mosque, and did the routine. But this time, the caliph himself was present. When the angry crowed moved to kill the fri"ar, the Caliph intervened and said: there is obviously something wrong with him, and let him loose, or words to that effect. I tell the story to say: that when the Islamic civilization was in its zenith, it was secure and thick-skinned.

PS No, I don't believe the story that the two Christians in Pakistan actually burnt the Qur'an. I don't buy it one bit. And I know full well how Christians in Pakistan are treated."" - ASAD ABUKHALIL"